Sunday, July 10, 2011

Pumpkin Scone Recipe

Inspired by your responses to my last post, today I have for you my pumpkin scone recipe. This is one I took from my mother's recipe book and everytime we make them, we also have to tell this story: 

In the mid '80s, in late July - that time of year that pumpkins are a great, deep, orange colour - my heavily pregnant mother had bought a lovely Jap pumpkin for dinner. That afternoon she went into labour. She and my father gathered their things to head to the hospital, but just as they were ready to head out the door, she remembered the pumpkin and realised it would spoil before they got home. So they dropped everything, cooked the pumpkin and made a huge batch of pumpkin scones. Fresh from the oven, mum, dad, my sister and the scones, piled into the car and went off to hospital. A few hours later I was born into a room filled with happy snacking nurses and the smell of pumpkin scones. They probably figured in my first meal.

Pumpkin Scones
ingredients:
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1 cup cold mashed pumpkin
2 cups self raising flour
pinch salt

  • cream butter and sugar
  • add egg
  • add pumpkin
  • fold in flour and salt
  • knead lightly and spread out on a floured surface
  • use an upside-down glass to cut. I find putting them quite close together on the tray supports them and helps them rise higher and get fluffier.
  • bake in a hot oven (220 C), or until well risen and golden brown (approx 15 mins)

I also glaze them with milk and add pumpkin/sunflower seeds on top.
Enjoy!

Baby photos of me at my birthday, chowing down on home-made birthday cake.

12 comments:

  1. These sound so yummy! It's a great story too, and such cute photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful, wonderful story Rebeccak. I cannot think of a better way to be born.
    What a mother you have.
    You had disappeared from my blogroll in the Bloggers disaster, but I have you back on broard, my dear, dear Rebecca.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's an adorable story, and I must try making some! Also, those pictures are so cute!
    From Carys of La Ville Inconnue

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fantastic story, Rebecca! I can't believe it! I have an affinity for pumpkin scones myself, but it's probably just due to being an October baby! I'll have to try these... maybe when I visit my family and have an oven!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adorable - and thanks for the recipe!
    xo
    Alexandra

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi bec!!!!I liked your comment, you are a sweet!!!
    I am following you now, your blog seems to be quite interesting! A big hug from Greece!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute baby photos! I would love to try this come fall, pumpkin scones!

    Lovely blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You forgot to mention that while the scones were baking, between contractions she was working hard to finish the textbook she was writing!

    Those are totally adorable pictures of you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Actually I have never tried pumpkin scones, but I so shall make this one day. Thanks for sharing the recipe. And that story was really cute, I don't have a story like that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just want to say 3 word: ADORABLE, ADORABLE, ADORABLE. XX

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is quite possibly the best story ever :)

    ReplyDelete

Go on then!