Saturday, May 7, 2011

Frolic in fur

 
Last night Ian and I went out to celebrate a good friends birthday (HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!) and then popped off to a farewell party (FAREWELL and see you soonish!). I felt like getting dressed up - so that's what I did! I have only worn this dress once before, to my sister's wedding. It is a shame not to wear it more - I really need more formal occasions!

The fur coat is also one I haven't worn much. For a long time I felt a little weird about wearing fur. I love it - the feel of it, the warmth, the look - but politically I'm not so sure. Both the coat and the hat are old fur, so it is not like I am contributing to a current market for fur. Yet in wearing it I kind of am, because I'm promoting it. I still haven't really resolved this in my mind, but I know that I feel silly having fur coats rotting away in the back of my cupboard. I also feel like this is pretty clearly an old fur - the cut, the colour etc. - so perhaps that signifies to people that it is vintage. What are your thoughts?

And this is Ian's artistic 'Bec with fork' shot at dinner...
 Outfit details:
Dress - Retrospect in Newtown
Hat - PoppycockVintage on etsy
Shoes - Django and Juliette
Coat - gift from Stella

8 comments:

  1. You look absolutely darling, I love the whole outfit! So ladylike and chic. Like you I wouldn't buy new fur items but given that the coat is vintage, I don't think you're doing any harm and it would be a shame for it to go to waste at the back of a wardrobe. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. that dress is so, so lovely - you should wear it more!

    http://itscohen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. You always wear the most fabulous dresses Rebeccak.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look just gorgeous! I'm a bit on the fence about fur, as I somewhat subscribe to the "any fur promotes the fur industry" argument. That said, I do like running my hands over them in vintage shops, and if I found one cheap and second hand that I loved, I'm not sure I'd say no.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel totally the same way about fur. I don't wear it because David hates it, but otherwise I might if I owned any.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That little fur cap is a-mazing!
    I am crazy about vintage fur (for me, generally 1950s and earlier). The way I see it is if some that poor mink or rabbit has already been killed 60 years ago, it would be sad and wasteful of its life to throw it away now. And it really is so so warm. (Modern fur, of course, I'll never touch-- shudder!).

    ReplyDelete
  7. ~ * ♥ * ~

    I don't have a problem with vintage fur at all ~ I think it's a waste to throw it away and if you are not supporting current fur trading practices then I think it's ok.

    Your coat looks lovely with your dress. : D

    xox,
    bonita of Depict This!
    ~ * ♥ * ~

    ReplyDelete

Go on then!