Friday, May 27, 2011

Ephemera

 
Hello dear readers! Apologies for my recent absence from the blog-o-sphere. Semester has caught up with me. Every time I think about getting out to take some photos I see the pile of marking on my desk, or the friendly reminder email from my supervisor, and think better of it.

I thought you might like to see some fruit of my archival digging. At the moment I am doing some research into the 1879 Sydney Exhibition. One of the fun boxes I happened across was full of ephemera: invitations, notes and postcards that some librarian once decided related to the exhibition and carefully catalogued. Some of these invitations are spectacularly decorated (like the one above), but there were also lots of curious and quirky invites, like the one below for the Art Society of NSW 'Smoke Night' (the idea of a Smoke Night itself is pretty amazing!).



 Isn't this Pears ad/sculpture souvenir hilarious!
And an incredibly elegant invitation to a Rugby game. This  was printed on really hard card and those are gold bevelled edges! Can you imagine receiving one of these for a Swans game these days?

5 comments:

  1. hey hun!
    the camera I use is the canon 550d
    with 1.8 50mm lens.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. So intricate! Thanks for sharing :)

    Also, I answered your camera query over at mine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, this is lovely,
    nice post!

    Henar ♥
    www.OhMyVogue.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, very cool! The Rugby invite reminds me of the invitations they still send in Cambridge for everything from garden parties to sporting matches.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, these are the stuff of dreams! What an amazing collection - isn't it great that somebody thought to save them all and catalogue them? It is with this kind of foresight that I collect all kinds of junk, because, you know, in a hundred years somebody might care :)

    ReplyDelete

Go on then!