Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Grandma's Place

Hello! I'm back from a sunny visit to my Grandma with new enthusiasm and energy for work. I had a wonderful time sifting through old photo albums, hearing stories about what life was like in Sydney in the '40s and visiting the historical society to discover more about my family history.

These photos were taken in my Grandma's house. She and my Grandpa bought the place in the '60s and went there on holidays, then retired there in 1976. I remember visiting as a kid, but this visit I was really struck by the style of the furniture and fittings. I don't think much has been changed since they first decorated. I love those golden tones and simple lines, particularly as they are illuminated by the ferocious Queensland sun.

Now this dress is very exciting - not only does it have a lovely tie-neck, fantastic print and amazingly incredible pleats within pleats (!!!)(does anyone know what that is called?), but I found it at an Op Shop for $10! It was waaaayyy waaaayyy too big, so I had to do some pretty big adjustments to make it fit. I am still not crazy about the fit on the bodice, so I may make that a little more shapely. Regardless, I am pretty pleased that I could tackle such a big reconstruction.

Also a big thank you for all your lovely comments on my last post - I really appreciate your kind thoughts! I think you may have saved the yellow dress from the dyeing pot :)







Outfit details:
Dress: Red Cross Op shop
Belt: The Way We Wore vintage fair
Shoes: Clarks originals
Shiny Face: Courtesy of the crazy Queensland heat

13 comments:

  1. These are so so lovely! And I want those shooooes... so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ~ * ♥ * ~

    Cute dress Rebeccak ~ I only wish I had such luck at my usual op shops. It's such a great thing that you can adjust it to fit too.

    xox,
    bonita of Depict This!
    ~ * ♥ * ~

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely place - I love the photo lying down! So pretty and that dress is just gorgeous. Beautiful fabric and tie neck too! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. These photos are so beautiful! I love the dress and it goes perfectly with the setting. Your grandmother has a pretty amazing house I might add.

    ...The lace was hard to mend. Some places were not fixable :-( It requires a lot of attention and time. haha. Love your blog!!!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photos, i love the way yellow beadspread. Plus- the dress was a great find x

    ReplyDelete
  6. lovelllyyy photographs :)


    http://haveapeekinsidemywardrobe.blogspot.com/

    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi
    would you like follow us?
    we follow you too ;)
    XOXO Francesca&Ingrid

    http://2befab.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just such a beautiful dress, and lovely photos!


    Fashezine

    ReplyDelete
  9. such lovely colors in your photos, miss.

    xo
    alexandra

    www.alexandragrecco.etsy.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. nice job on the dress! that house is so inspiring. it's crazy!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I adore the warm colours of the furnishings and the overall style of the interiors, isn't it funny how everything has come back into fashion?

    The dress looks great on you, especially love the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's so cute about your grandma's place. I remember my Grandma's old house slightly that they lived in in the mid fifties when my mom was about 5 up until about 1989 or 1990. It was so strange though and cluttery and dirty. haha.

    ReplyDelete

Go on then!