Sunday, January 23, 2011

The Trocadero Dance Palace

Last night Ian and I ventured into Sydney c.1955 and went along to the Trocadero Dance Palace. 'The Troc' was a dance hall that opened in the '30s and was the place to catch the best big bands, or dance with the finest dance partners in Sydney. This year, Sydney Festival re-created the Dance Palace in the Town Hall with an amazing all female big band - Sirens - some incredible dancers and spectacular aerial performers. It was an amazing show. There is a cheesy, but cute video about it here.
EDIT - just found another great video here with some footage of the original Trocadero.

I decided to embrace the Sydney summer vibe and go floral. This dress is not vintage - but the cool cotton was very much appreciated on the dance floor. I pin-curled my hair - in fact, I wore my pin-curls under a scarf to the gym that morning and got a few funny looks! They came out really well! I followed this tutorial and found it helpful.



 The night started with a mass swing dancing class. It was seriously MASSIVE - 500 people doing hand-to hand Charleston. Doesn't it look like a rave? Those are star-grabs en-mass.
 The Sirens Big Band - who were led by the totally incredible Dan Barnett and featured singer Lanie Lane.
Areal performers suspended from the ceiling of the Town Hall -  just magical!
Singer Lanie Lane with the professional dancers who were mind-blowingly amazing.

We had such a good time - even though we could only remember two or three of our swing-steps (we are now REALLY good at those few!). Now I just wish it were a more regular event!

7 comments:

  1. Thank you Rebeccak, for passing by my blog. Such an honour. From this moment i will put you in my blogroll and I am following you. I love your style. yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! I totally forgot this was on :( Oh well, hopefully next year. It looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh what fun you seemed to have!! I love the dress so much!! Very beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This place looks amaaazing! And you are perfectly dolled up... the dress and flower are very pretty but I think my favourite part is the hairstyle. : )

    P.S. Re: your comment on my blog. I meant it was 0 degrees celsius. I'm from Canada and that's what we use. It does seem to have confused a few people though! ; )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Bec!
    lovely to see the dancing, and you fit right in. What was Ian wearing? It would have been such a buzz of a night. Will I see you Monday??

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look lovely, you must tell me where you got that dress!! Your hair is perfect as well!
    From Carys of La Ville Inconnue

    ReplyDelete
  7. Missing your wonderful posts Rebeccak.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete

Go on then!