Thursday, December 30, 2010

A 'Yes' Year!

As I sit at my computer inhaling nail polish fumes (note-to-self, in future that is an outdoors task) I feel like this year has been pretty damn fine. It has been a year of starting tonnes of new things and saying 'yes' to every opportunity I have been offered. I started my PhD, this blog, my first sewing and knitting projects, as well as multiple teaching and research assistant jobs. I moved out with Ian and explored our new suburb (and have since moved again!). I started playing in a band again, swing dancing and riding a bike. It has been crazy busy! And amazing. But busy. So I have dubbed it the year of 'yes'. I said yes to everyone and everything, and felt the results - both good and bad. 

As we sit on the cusp of a new year, with resolutions and grand plans being made left, right and centre, I will make some of my very own. Next year, I intend to have a 'no' year . Or perhaps -  a year of finding balance. I find it really hard to say no to people, but it gets to a point where it is all a bit ridiculous (baking cookies at midnight after finishing work at 10pm and beginning again at 8am. Mad? Me? Never!). 

Next year is the middle year of my PhD. I have some incredible plans for research adventures and writing frenzies: Some serious archival detective work, 6 weeks in London libraries, and perhaps an overseas conference? It is all pretty exciting stuff! I can't wait! So with that... Happy New Year!!!

2 comments:

  1. Your year sounds about as busy as mine was... I just wish I was so full of positive energy at the prospect of future school! Happy New Year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, sounds like you are Judy's daughter!

    ReplyDelete

Go on then!