Monday, November 1, 2010

Farewell Lounge Room

Looking at these photos now makes the weekend feel far away. The weather has turned to rubbish and I have been struggling to write a 250 word conference abstract all day. Who ever knew writing half a page could be so tough?!

Yesterday Ian took these photos in our living room for my series farewelling our apartment. It was an absolutely glorious day- the sun was streaming in and the roses I bought to pretty-up the place for our inspection were heavy with scent. I think they might be Mr.Lincolns, the smell is just amazing but they are thorny as hell (have you noticed that? The ones with the best smell are always the spikiest too... I'm sure there is a Chinese proverb in that somewhere).

You might remember this fabric from my post on the fifties fair. I finished making this New Look dress and am pretty pleased with how it turned out! I had to change the bodice quite a lot to get the fit I wanted. I followed Gertie's tutorial for paper fitting, but I also ended up adding darts to make it sit right. I am sure there is a more sophisticated way of fixing the fitting problems - but I like to invent solutions, and adding darts worked a treat. I also changed the neck a bit because I thought the pattern was frumpy.

But back to the lounge room... these are a few glimpses of the place. Luckily my big red chair is coming with us, because it is probably what I have enjoyed most about this room. I will not miss the fact that the windows look strait on to our neighbours and I could also have done without the weird broken boarded-up fire place in the top shot - covered nicely by the portrait Emily did of me. Also, do notice the 'achievement award' on the mantle piece. Ian bought it at a bargain store and insisted I present it to him when I thought he deserved it. Tee hee! Good bye loung room!!




4 comments:

  1. Love the dress! What was the pattern number? You should post a review on patternreivew.com
    It's such a great fit on you. Did you make notes about your alternations? Could be handy if you want to make it again.

    I need to get my sewing mojo back. I'm working on a swimsuit, which I really have to get finished because my normal ones are getting rather snug.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your dress, it's just beautiful!! You have the most amazing style, I'm glad I found your blog!
    From Carys of La Ville Inconnue

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love this! So very Madmen! I know what you mean when you get writers block! it's like your brain has wandered off elsewhere right?

    That is amazing that you made it yourself too! You are so talented!

    Ayesha x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a pretty lounge... it's always a bit sad saying goodbye to places where you've been happy.

    That dress and the wondefully quirky fabric are, well, wonderful. ; )

    ReplyDelete

Go on then!