Thursday, May 6, 2010

Art and Bread

I am a little late in posting about the weekend considering it is now Thursday! But here goes...

Sunday was a spectacular day in Sydney. It was hard to believe that it was the second day of May - so sunny and bright and warm. I met friends for breakfast at my favorite Sunday breakfast spot then wandered up to the Art Gallery to see an exhibition of Japanese Ukiyo-e prints (these date from the late 18thC). There is more info about the exhibition on the Gallery website. It was a really stunning show.


I particularly liked the prints of women from the 'pleasure quarter' - a section of the city that was dedicated to courtesans and gambling, segregated in order to give the government the ability to exert greater control over these industries. The prints of these courtesans and actresses were like modern fashion magazines, as these women set the trends with elaborate hair styles and dress. I think Utamaro captured them beautifully. Imagine having your hair twisted and turned and pinned and clipped...ouch! And these fabrics are just incredible.


When I got home Ian had made the most delicious bread (Best yet!!!). He took inspiration from one of my favorite bakeries - The German Bakery - using half rye flour lots of pumpkin seeds, and covering the outside in semolina. Soooooo gooooood.

Then we made lentil soup to go with it. Our soup recipe is inspired by the soup from Cafe Gulia and basically involves cooking the lentils to death in some stock, adding some dried mushrooms, tomato paste, and a few spices (what ever we have at the time!) and topping it with olives and feta. YUM! We also tried a drizzle of red wine vinegar at the end which gave it a nice zing.





2 comments:

  1. woooow I NEED that bread recipe ... and the lentil soup too, though I think I can go on your summary above. The loaf looks so professional! Did it taste professional?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It tasted evem BETTER than the german bakery - and it actually lasted pretty well too. As for the recipe - you will have to ask Ian. It was his creation. But I think he followed one of the ones for light rye in the bread machine book?

    ReplyDelete

Go on then!