Sunday, April 18, 2010

Vintage fair


This is what I wore today to the 'Love Vintage' show at canterbury racecourse. It is one of my faveroute dresses. I got it while I was in NYC at the Hell's kitchen flea market. I think it is probably from the late '40s, but it has no tags so I haven't been able to track it down.

I wore it with my new shoes (yay!). I have been looking forward to these for weeks, but finally bit the bullet and bought them. They are Naots - so they were rather pricey, but also the MOST comfortable shoes I have ever tried.

Dress - Vintage
Sunnies - from century 21
Cardigan - SES
Bag - Myer

(Ian took great delight in snapping the pile of trash next to the park as a backdrop)
I have never been to a vintage show in Sydney before and was totally overwhelmed by the number of stores and quality of some of the wares on offer. However, as expected a lot of the stores were really badly over-priced. Nevertheless, I ended up buying quite a few bits and pieces that I felt were reasonably priced.

I really liked this dress, but it was a little out of my budget. The beading was incredible! It didn't come out very nicely in the photo, because I was too shy to take a better shot - but the sequins were just lovely.
This was another one that got away. at $130 it was a pretty average 'show price'. It was made in Italy - putting it on felt like going on some very sophisticated summer holiday.

This is what I ended up with:
A heavy wool burgendy coat - I seriously can not believe I managed to buy a coat on such a hot day.
A dusty pink and white polka dot sailor-dress.
A green belt that works beautifully with the dress i wore to the show.
An issue of Australian 'Home Journal' from 1952
A celluloid clasp (with the intension of making a belt)
and the wallet of my dreams! I have been looking for a new wallet with a clasp-change section for years. My last one was new from Review, but the clasp broke and my change always slips out! This wallet is calf skin from the '80s and is by an Australian company 'Laimbok'. So very exciting to have my change in my wallet and not rolling around my bag!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on then!